Posted by Lutke Dental 2020-05-01
Dentistry covers a wide range of services. All of them work together to give patients the best experiences. Without one of them, some oral problems would not effectively be treated. Some of the common specialties in dentistry include pediatric dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, Restorative Dentistry, emergency dentistry, and preventive dentistry.
When it comes to preventive dentistry near you in Plano, TX, it holds down a lot of the services offered in dental facilities.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
It is an area of dentistry that focuses on offering precautionary services to patients for the sake of their oral health. Preventive dentistry in Plano majors on preventing infection and damage from occurring. This way, there is no need for treatment. It is all about managing your oral health so you never have to seek treatment concerning tooth damage.
What Does Preventive Dentistry Entail?
If you are considering preventive dentistry near you, perhaps it is best to first understand what it entails. One thing you can be sure of is that you will need to become a close friend to your dentist. Only with frequent dental visits do preventive dental care benefit you fully. Some of the services offered in preventive dentistry include:
- Routine oral exams – there is nothing more advantageous for your oral health that regular dental visits. They allow you ample time with your dentist to keep up with your dentition needs. Routine Oral exams also ensure that your dentist has a thorough history of your dental health. This way, all decisions made about your treatment will be effective, given the medical background of your teeth. During the exams, expect services like physical exams, dental interviews, x-rays, to mention a few.
- Fluoride treatments – these are common among children. The treatment is essential to help strengthen teeth. However, adults too can benefit from the treatment. Technically, you are supposed to get fluoride naturally, particularly from fluoridated water. However, this may not be enough to sustain the strength of your teeth over a long period.
- Dental sealants – these are types of oral fillings that are used before a tooth gets cavities or yields to dental decay. Children commonly get oral sealants the moment their permanent teeth grow. Sealants are perfect for back teeth, as they cover the pits and depressions of teeth. They can also be advantageous for adults.
- Oral hygiene sensitization – excellent oral health has a lot to do with cleanliness. It is about ensuring that the food residues in your mouth don’t stay too long to form plaque. Therefore, dental experts will invest some time in elaborating more on the proper oral hygiene techniques. This includes how often you should floss and brush your teeth. It also features how to brush your teeth, and which cleaning agents to use. Granted, no one knows better about cleaning teeth than a dental hygienist.
- Professional teeth cleaning – having your teeth cleaned professionally is a step towards excellent oral health. It is not enough to brush every day as well as floss. Sometimes you need a dental hygienist to deep clean your teeth, getting rid of any traces of plaque or tartar.
- Nutritional counseling – it is not only a nutritionist that cares about what you eat. Dentists too are invested in the food choices of their patients. Ideally, anything you eat affects your overall health, including that of your mouth. Besides that, every food you eat and drink you consume passes through your mouth first. Therefore, there is a need to ensure that you are getting the right nutrients, all while caring for your teeth.
- Oral cancer screening – unfortunately, oral cancer continues to claim so many lives in the world today. A simple recurrent mouth sore might be overlooked, yet have dire consequences. Before you wait too long, preventive dentistry can help with oral cancer screening.
- Preventing infection and disease – this sums up the role of preventive dentistry. Dental experts find different ways to minimize the risks of infection in your mouth, and fight diseases. All the measures mentioned above will set you ahead in your journey of excellent oral health. While at it, your dentist will ensure that all oral problems detected early are curbed at their infant stages. This leaves no room for the progression of damage in your teeth or gums.